Covance Principal Software Engineer in Nationwide, United States
Global Specimen Solutions (GSS) at Covance is a high profile, innovative and rapidly growing business line that is charged with creating world-class, innovative technology solutions to improve the speed, cost and quality of drug development and help pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies bring the miracles of medicine to the people in need faster.
The Principal Software Engineer is responsible for the architecture, design, development, testing, documentation and analysis of modules or features of new or upgraded software systems and products. Develops and/or executes implementation in accordance to SDLC and project plans. SW Engineers may develop a range of products including mobile apps, webbase apps, console apps, etc. producing both enhancements to existing products and new products. This is a virtual position and can be located anywhere in the US.
In this role you will:
· Provide technical expertise in developing solutions to complex software engineering problems, which require
frequent use of ingenuity and creativity.
· Provide work leadership to others. Interfaces with senior management to provide and obtain information and
gain consensus regarding project direction.
· Evaluate current technology and recommend tools for implementation within a project or department.
· Collaborate well with CTO, IT, Data Management and Quality Assurance, voluntarily shares information.
· Offer proposed design changes/suggestions to processes and products, exert significant latitude in determining
objectives of an assignment.
· Represent company externally at a technical level.
· Participate in evaluation of 3rd party software – develop test plans for thorough analysis
· May be accountable for overall product and/or serve as a customer advocate.
· Interact cross functionally on matters that require coordination across functional/organizational lines.
· Be a significant contributor to organizational goals and objectives.
· Write functional detailed design specs as well as responding to requirement documents and system level test
· Exercise considerable latitude in determining technical objectives, without appreciable direction.
· Understand and adhere to cost/delivery/quality targets established during the program design phase.
· Work closely with team leads and directors, particularly on decisions regarding project plans, resources and
· Work effectively with cross-functional and/or global teams, readily share information with others.
BS/MS/PHD in Computer Science, or computer applications or related degree.
10+ years relevant experience in custom product development. Clinical, medical, diagnostics knowledge and experience highly preferred.
Software design and architectural experience.
Expert level knowledge of object-oriented design and the C++ or Java programming language.
Experience in working with web based applications that employ Model, View, Controller (MVC) software pattern, preferably in a PHP or Ruby on Rails environment.
Expert knowledge of general database principles and preferable experience in MySQL, Oracle or MS SQL.
Preferably working knowledge of Android OS and iOS
ISO, FDA or other regulated industry training and experience desired with working in a 21CFR Part 11 validated environment
Self-motivated, able to work independently.
Good problem solving skills.
Good written and oral communication skills.
Job Number 2018-19385
Job Category Information Technology
Position Type Full-Time
Covance is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer (Minority/Female/Individual with Disability/Veteran/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity). Your confidentiality and privacy are important to us.